October is pastor appreciation month and I cannot let the month go by without appreciating mine here. I have said this before and will say it again. I wish everyone could know him the way I do. He is a great leader, a gifted preacher, and a godly man onstage and behind the scenes. Here are a few things I love about him.
1. He doesn’t do anything small. Everyone knows how much diet soda he drinks, but most people don’t know how much water he drinks too. This summer he started playing tennis. He went to Dick’s and came home with this water jug. I think it holds about 1/2 a gallon of water (Pictured next to his jug is my cup that I take when we play). The funny thing is he usually refills the jug when he plays. Whether he is consuming Guinness world record amounts of fluids or preaching 13 times back to back on a holiday weekend, he does it well and he does it big.
2. He is a great dad. This fall our boys have been playing baseball on a coach pitch team. My husband has only missed one game and one practice. He comes home from work just in time to take them to practice, and he leaves their Saturday games to get ready to preach but he doesn’t miss. Recently when Graham was having a hard time hitting the ball, another mom told him, “we’ve been out here every night that we don’t have practice, practicing on our own. My boys each do 100 pitches a night.” That weekend PF was back at Dick’s. This time with the boys. They bought a bucket of balls and hit the field. You better bet our boys were hitting better the next game. Yep.
3. He is the hardest working person I know. He understands the necessity of momentum and he knows how to use it. Whether it is in starting a new campus, working on his sermon, writing a new song or beginning his next book, he pushes through the resistance and gets down to business. He is the best at what he does because he works hard.
4. He still dates me. Rarely does a week go by that we do not go on a date. I know many times after traveling, the last thing he wants to do is eat more restaurant food. But he always takes me and he often leaves his phone in the car, now that’s a good man.
5. He is a through and through night owl and bless his heart, he tries not to be. Ever since I have known PF, he has loved staying up way past my ability to remain coherent. I have fallen asleep on him more times than I can count. If he went with his body’s natural inclination, he would stay up til 3 or 4 every night. But he knows he cannot be a grown up and do that so he doesn’t. He disciplines himself to go to bed at a decent enough time so that he can be around when we are getting ready for school in the mornings.
That’s all for now. I will finish my list for part 2. I know the suspense is killing you but you will have to wait.